I have made crock pot chicken tacos a few times, tweaking as I go along. This time I decided to take the recipe I normally use and add black beans along with fresh onion, garlic and extra seasoning. Great results. There is nothing like coming home to the smell of a ready-made dinner. May this recipe lighten the load for your next dinner!
- 1-2 Envelopes Taco Seasoning ( we have this in bulk, I used around a ⅓ cup)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (more tender than breast meat)
- 1 16-ounce jar Salsa (I used Kroger's Simple Truth Mild Organic Salsa)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves coaresly chopped
- Dump everything into a crock pot and give it a little stir to blend the seasoning with the salsa. You do not need to add any water to the taco seasoning. My crockpot always cooks a little faster than normally suggested. Since I forgot to pull out chicken ahead of time, I put it in frozen and added some cooking time. Cook on low for 5 hours and keep on warm til ready to serve. With fresh chicken, I would have done 4 hours and then warm until served. When done, the chicken should shred easily when stirred with a fork.
- For tacos, serve the chicken with soft flour tortillas and any of your favorite fixings. We simply used shredded cheese, black olives and green onion. This is very versatile and can be used for enchiladas, nachos, tostadas, quesadillas, etc. Any leftover chicken can then be used for tortilla soup (make it the next day or freeze the chicken to use at a later time).
Recipe adapted from Tasty Kitchen