Happy Monday All! I hope you enjoyed the weekend and were able to celebrate with our neighbors from the south. Tired of strawberries yet? Here is a strawberry pie that I made for our Cinco de Mayo party yesterday. It is such a refreshing dessert on a warm day (and it was 80 degrees out yesterday). Enjoy!
- 9 inch pie crust (store bought or whole wheat)
- 1½ – 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- ½ of a lemon, for fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2¾ teaspoon corn starch
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 package unflavored powdered gelatin
- Pre-bake your pie crust until light golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Slice 3 cups of the strawberries and then crush them with a fork.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, stir the crushed strawberries, lemon juice, corn starch, and sugar together. Let it simmer for about 7 minutes until it thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and in a small bowl, combine the water and gelatin. Stir the softened gelatin into the warm strawberry mixture.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into your baked pie crust.
- Halve or quarter the remaining strawberries and decorate the top with them.
- Allow the pie to chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours until set.
Recipe from Chocolate and Carrots