In an attempt to start adding a few vegetarian meals to our weekly dinner plan I made potato and pea curry. For some reason I cannot get enough Indian curry these days and it’s a good thing because many of their dishes are in fact vegetarian. We both really enjoyed the flavor and simplicity. I did end up adding a little garam masala and sugar. Echoing the original recipe, make sure to not heat to high and reduce the sauce too much. Enjoy!
- 8 small potatoes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2.5 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- The first step in this recipe is the most important – dicing your potatoes. Take the time to cut your potatoes into small bite sized pieces – picture a die from a board game. No bigger than that.
- Add the potatoes to a pan and sauté in coconut oil over medium high heat. You’ll want to cook them for about 15 minutes or so, so that they get a bit of color on the outside and begin to soften. Once potatoes have begun to soften, add one whole can of light coconut milk.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow the liquid to just slightly simmer so that the potatoes continue to cook. Add your spices and stir to combine.
- Allow sauce to simmer and thicken for 20-25 minutes over medium heat. The potatoes should naturally thicken the sauce as it condenses. Be careful not to turn up the heat too high – you don’t want your sauce to condense too much and leave you with too little.
- Once the potatoes have softened entirely, add your peas and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt, and continue to cook until peas are warmed.
Recipe slightly adapted from Daily Garnish