I know what you’re thinking, bacon in ice cream? Is that even tasty? The answer is, of course!! Bacon adds a touch of saltiness to the caramel and we all know how delicious salted caramel is. This was actually a recipe I created because I was having a hard time making bacon caramels one day and decided to just make a sauce instead. I added bacon to the caramel sauce, let it cool completely and then swirled it into homemade vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Cook bacon in frying pan until desired crispiness. Cool and chop into little pieces. Set aside.
5 tbsp. butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. kosher (coarse) salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1. Line 9-inch square pan with parchment or wax paper, allowing the paper to drape over two sides; spray lightly with cooking spray.
2. In 1-quart saucepan, heat butter, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to boiling, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
3. In 3-quart saucepan, mix sugar, corn syrup, and water. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. DO NOT STIR. Boil until sugar turns a warm golden brown.
4. When the sugar mixture is done, turn off the heat and slowly add the cream mixture to the sugar mixture. Be careful — it will bubble up violently.
5. Pour mixture into the wax papered pan. Let cool a few minutes and then top with bacon. Cool caramel completely.
1½ cups whole milk
1 cup granulated sugar
pinch sea or kosher salt
2½ cups heavy cream
½ to 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed or whisk to combine the milk, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate a minimum of at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture together again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
2. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. Ten minutes before the ice cream is finished, begin to pour in the caramel sauce slowly. Add as much as you want. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
Vanilla Recipe from Cuisinart