So it turns out having a baby is A LOT of work, I mean wow! I am astonished that it’s been over a year since I last posted and although I have still been cooking, it has usually been done in a quicker fashion and without much ceremony. Luckily my little one has a lot of willingness to try most anything I make. Now that she is over a year old and can play more independently, I am able to stretch my culinary legs again and hopefully capture a picture or two before she devours my creations. Here is a squash covered pasta dish that is wonderfully savory with a touch of sweetness. My little one loves anything with pasta, or bread for that matter. I am desperate for new ideas and ways to sneak vegetables in with her favorites. This recipe came from a baby food book called Little Foodie. I have been surprised at how many wonderful dishes have come from this cookbook. I wouldn’t call this quick since there is roasting and pureeing involved, but it is worth the extra effort.
- 1 medium Butternut Squash
- 1 - 12 ounce Pasta of choice
- 1 cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Curry
- 1 tsp fresh Thyme [can also use sage or rosemary]
- ½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degree F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat.
- - Cut butternut squash in half, seed and place on baking sheet, skin side down. Bake for 40 minutes or until fork can prick the skin easily.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to the package directions. Save half a cup of pasta water, set aside.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Scrape butternut squash from skin and place in blender or food processor. Add onion, garlic, thyme, curry and vegetable broth and puree until smooth.
- Return pureed butternut squash to skillet over medium heat. Add pasta, salt and pepper, a little of the pasta water and stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. if desired and serve immediately.